APA How To Guide
Use this sample paper to format your paper
Be sure to complete all necessary steps by using this checklist
Other Formatting Issues
Adding a RUNNING HEAD with page numbers
Insert a page number first.
- START on the SECOND PAGE of your document. Choose "INSERT", Choose "PAGE NUMBER", Choose "TOP OF PAGE" and then choose "Plain Number 1".
Then insert Running Head
- There are two parts to inserting a running head. First, Double click next to the page number on page 2. This will activate the field so you can edit it.
- Put your cursor in front of the number and start typing the title your paper. Then hit the space bar to move the number back to the right.
- Second,go back to the FIRST page. Choose "DIFFERENT FIRST PAGE" from the ribbon at the top of the screen. NOTE: The header will disappear from the first page after you click on "different first page". Double click in the header box to activate the field so you can edit it.
- Start typing the words "Running.head:" and then your title, then add the page number (#1).
How to create HANGING INDENTATIONS
- At the HOME tab, click on the arrow to expand the PARAGRAPH box.
- Then choose the "INDENTS AND SPACING" tab
- Then choose "INDENTATION"
- Then choose "HANGING" from the box marked "SPECIAL"
- Then click "OK"